There are two types of electric power: alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC). AC is the kind of electricity that comes from your outlets at home, while DC is the kind of electricity that comes from batteries.
The main difference between AC and DC power is that AC power is generated by alternating the current, while DC power is generated by keeping the current steady. AC power is generated by moving electrons back and forth, while DC power is generated by moving electrons in one direction.
AC power is used in most homes and businesses because it is more efficient than DC power. AC power can be converted to DC power, but DC power cannot be converted to AC power.
DC power is used in some applications where a constant power supply is required, such as in computers and other electronic devices.
Some 5 Differences between AC and DC power for a brief explanation:
- AC can be easily generated while DC needs to be generated using a power supply: It is very easy to generate alternating currents for electrical contractors in Phoenix, AZ. All you need is a generator. On the other hand, direct current needs a power supply to generate it.
- AC power fluctuates while DC power is constant: The alternating current changes its direction periodically. The direct current, on the other hand, flows in one direction only.
- AC is transmitted over long distances while DC cannot be: Alternating current can be transmitted over long distances as it doesn’t require a constant supply of voltage. Direct current, on the other hand, needs a constant voltage to flow and it cannot be transmitted over long distances.
- AC is used in homes while DC is used in electronic devices: Alternating current is used in most homes as it is more efficient than direct current. Direct current is used in some applications where a constant power supply is required such as in computers and other electronic devices.
- AC can be converted to DC while DC cannot be converted to AC: Alternating current can be converted to direct current using a rectifier. Direct current cannot be converted to alternating current.
Both AC and DC power have their own advantages. AC power is more common and is used in most homes and businesses. DC power is less common and is used in some industrial and commercial applications.